Summer Solutions for Shelters
The mercury is rising, Ice Cream Trucks can be heard again and the sprinklers are working overtime – yes it’s summer! Summer is a time when pets and their owners tend to spend more time outdoors enjoying the warm weather. But with the warmer weather come some associated risks that can result in an increased workload for animal welfare organizations.
This week we are providing you with some helpful hints and information to help to make your summer a breeze:
- More time outside means more chances to slip away – missing pet reports increase during the summer months – use the Lost & Found Searching and Reporting Module in PetPoint to reduce your workload in a lost pet emergency. 24PetWatch pet recovery network is on call 24 hours a day to assist you;
- Dehydration and heatstroke are a constant danger for lost pets in the summer, keep supplies (clean towels and a water spray bottle) on hand to bring an intake animal’s temperature down safely before the veterinarian arrives – use the PetPoint Medical Assessment and Treatment reports to track the animal’s medical details;
- Pet owners are frequently unaware of the dangers that summer poses for their pets. Click here to download our helpful “Summer Solutions” information sheet. You can photocopy it and hand it out to all your new adopters – prevention is always better than cure. If you are attending an event during the summer, make sure that you have copies on hand to give away, particularly if pets are going to be at the event;
- When school’s out, more kids will be visiting your facilities. Do you have crayons in your waiting area? Keep the children busy while their parents fill out the adoption paperwork, click on the “Kids Korner” button to download our “Prepare your pets for Summer” coloring page;
- Concerned about the cost of photocopying? Take advantage of the amazing discounts offered through the PetPoint purchasing agreement with STAPLES – over 100 of our PetPoint partners have saved $$$s already!
- Are you planning a summer fund-raiser? Microchipping clinics are a great way to promote responsible pet ownership and raise funds in the process – call us to see how 24PetWatch can help.
- Did the pet food recall leave you needing more donations? Make sure that a ShelterCare Insurance banner is clearly visible on your home page – you can receive $25 for applications completed via your link – earn $$$s for your organization and take comfort in knowing that another pet will benefit from the best that modern veterinary technology can offer in their time of need!
Enjoy Your Summer!
The Pethealth Family